Wednesday, March 5, 2014

3/8/2014 – Friday after Ash Wednesday – Matthew 9:14-15

        We hear Jesus tell us today that there is a time for fasting.  We know that fasting is one of our Lenten disciplines that the Church calls us to do. By fasting it is not just refraining from eating for a time, but it is also giving up other things in our live as a sacrifice in order to grow in our faith.  We are to seek God in fasting, in making a sacrifice, in giving things up.  That is what our Catholic faith calls us to do.  Giving up things can be a sacrifice, but it can be freeing as well.   When I was a missionary in Ecuador for 3 years, we did not have a telephone or a computer or a TV or any kind of technology like that.   In fact, the nuns I worked with asked the bishop if he could have computers for us to use to send email or other kinds of communication when we came into town, which was only maybe once a month, and he told us that was too extravagant for missionaries.  But it made me appreciate what I have, to appreciate the technology that makes life so easy for us, technology that we often take for granted.  When I went to Spain for the pilgrimage, I also left technology behind, and it was so freeing for me.  I think a lot of the faithful might dismiss the thought of fasting as a practical Lenten devotion, but may today’s Gospel help us think about how we can incorporate fasting into our Lenten disciplines this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment