Monday, June 29, 2020

Bulletin Reflection - 5 July 2020 - 14th Sunday of Ordinary Time - St Jude Catholic Church - Pearl, Mississippi

     We hear a Gospel reading today that is one that I often proclaim as a priest, since it is the main Gospel for the sacrament of the anointing of the sick, that wonderful sacrament of healing and wholeness that we have in our faith.  Jesus proclaims to us today in the Gospel:  “Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves. For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.”
       There are different times in our lives when we will feel burdened by what is going on in our personal life or by what is going on in the world.  Sometimes what we see going on came seem very unjust.  Sometimes the harshness of our lives and of the world around can be unbearable.  Sometimes our reality has changed so much that nothing makes sense anymore.
       Our faith is there to speak to us in our reality, in the midst of all that we are going through in our lives.  I love this following quote from St Augustine of Canterbury, who lived in the 6th century, has this beautiful quote that speaks to this very reality: “God of life, there are days when the burdens we carry chafe our shoulders and wear us down; when the road seems dreary and endless, the skies gray and threatening; when our lives have no music in them and our hearts are lonely, and our souls have lost their courage.   Flood the path with light, we beseech you; turn our eyes to where the skies are full of promise.”
         Blessings to all of you this week - Father Lincoln.

No comments:

Post a Comment