Friday, June 5, 2020

The Anima Christi Prayer and a Reflection on the Body and Blood of Christ

Soul of Christ, sanctify me.
Body of Christ, save me.
Blood of Christ, inebriate me.
Water from the side of Christ, wash me.
Passion of Christ, strengthen me.
O Good Jesus, hear me.
Within your wounds hide me.
Permit me not to be separated from you.
From the wicked foe, defend me.
At the hour of my death, call me
and bid me come to you
That with your saints I may praise you
For ever and ever. Amen.

       The Anima Christi prayer has often been mistakenly attributed to St Ignatius of Loyola, but a lot of Church historians believe that this prayer is from an earlier date. This prayer recalls Jesus’ passion and his body and blood, which is why it is frequently said by individuals after receiving Holy Communion. It is very appropriate to meditate on this prayer this weekend as we celebrate the feast day dedicated to the Body and Blood of Christ.   
      The author of Anima Christi is unknown, but some Church historians speculate that it was Pope John XXII (1244 - 1334). The prayer is included in the spiritual exercises of St Ignatius of Loyola (1491 - 1556), written in the 16th centuryHowever, the earliest printed versions of the prayer can be found in books published more than 100 years before his birth. Similar wording can also be found on an inscription on the gates of the Alcazar of Seville, a royal palace in Seville, Span, that dates back to the middle of the 14th century.  
With public masses having been suspended during this pandemic and now having been resumed, perhaps today’s solemnity of the Body and Blood of Christ and the Anima Christi prayer will have great significance for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment