Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Book Review - Take This Bread - By Sarah Miles

     I found this book very interesting. It is about a personal journey: of where the author found God, of where she found faith, of where she found community, of where she found a place to serve. Our journeys are very personal. I have worked full time as a missionary, including two years at a soup kitchen and food bank and three years in a remote jungle in South America. I am now an ordained clergy person myself, having served in such a role for 12 years now. I currently work in administration and in parish ministry. There were times in my life, too, when I hungered. At times I did not have enough food to eat and lost a great deal of weight. At other times I was sick with a string of illnesses: tropical fevers, malaria, Dengue fever, pneumonia, dysentery. So sick my body had a hard time recovering. There are times when I hungered for justice and meaning. The author's journey and my journey have similarities but big differences as well.  I could relate to the way that the author found God in feeding the hungry.  While I find God as a Catholic priest, rooted in the liturgy and the Mass, serving as a pastor and an administrator for the Diocese.  The author, Sarah Miles, entered the Episcopal Church as an adult after not having been very active in the Church.  While she was looking for a Church that pushed to the fringes of traditional practice and liturgy, I am drawn to the traditions and the history of the Church and want to be a part of that tradition and history.  All in all, I am thankful to the author for sharing her journey with us.  I am glad I read this book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment