Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Book review - Where nests the water hen - Gabrielle Roy

I lived in Canada for three years.  Thus, I have read a lot of Canadian literature.  Gabrielle Roy, who was born in the province of Manitoba and who lived for many years in Quebec, is one of the most respected writers in Canadian literature.  Her novel The Tin Flute, set in a poor neighborhood in Montreal, is considered a masterpiece of Canadian literature.  This novel is set on an island in a very remote part of Manitoba.  Though it does not give the exact dates, from points of reference, I would see it being set in the 1930s.  This novel has three parts that are not completely linear in its date trajectory.  It revolves around a French Canadian family trying to make a living and trying to educate its children in this rural area, about the priest, mailman, merchant, and other characters who make up life in this rural area.  I would not even call it a village or town - more or less a settlement of pioneer who inhabit the area.  I enjoyed this portrait of life on the Canadian prairies.  My ancestor all lived in big urban areas, mostly Chicago and southern Wisconsin, when they immigrated to the United States in the late 19th century.  This novel is compared to the writings of Willa Cather both in style and content, which I think is a worthy comparison.  I enjoyed this book very much, mostly for the portrait of the life of these pioneers.  Gabrielle Roy is certainly a very gifted write.  

No comments:

Post a Comment