Friday, July 3, 2020

Anniversary of the death of Ernest Hemingway - 2 July 1961

In the Catholic Church, the feast day of the saint is usually not his birthday, but rather the day of his death, the day of his entry into eternal life.  July 2, 1961 is the anniversary of the death of Ernest Hemingway.  He died almost one year exactly before the day I was born (5 July 1962).   One of the best literature courses I ever took in college was on the novels of Hemingway and Faulkner.  I feel a connection to both of these writers, who are two of the most significant American novelists in of the 20th century.  I have been to parts of Spain, most particularly Pamplona, that are closely connected to Hemingway.  (He was also born in Oak Park, a suburb of Chicago, my hometown.)  With Faulkner, I was a grad student at Ole Miss, the town most associated with him.  My favorite Hemingway novel is The Sun Also Rises, which takes place in Pamplona.  I love the epitaph of that novel, attributed to Gertrude Stein: "You are a lost generation." 

No comments:

Post a Comment