Monday, April 13, 2020

19 April 2020 – Second Sunday of Easter – John 20:19-31

     On the Second Sunday of Easter of the Jubilee Year 2000, at the Mass for the canonization of St. Faustina Kowalska, Pope John Paul II proclaimed to the world that “from now on throughout the Church this Sunday will be called Divine Mercy Sunday.”  What a wonderful message we have today of God’s love and mercy for us as we celebrate the risen Christ during the Easter season.  And by linking the revealed truth about God’s mercy to one of the most solemn Sundays after Easter itself, Pope John Paul II gave light to the way that our liturgies already proclaim Christ’s divine mercy.  This echoes what we hear in the first verse in the psalm today: “His mercy endures forever.” 
      We can see God’s love and mercy at work in the lives of Christ’s disciples in the Gospel today.   The disciples were huddled together behind a locked door that evening when Jesus miraculously appeared to them, wishing them peace.  This year more than ever, we literally find ourselves behind locked doors ourselves don’t we, with social distancing and stay-at-home orders dictating our lives.  We may also feel our faith being behind a locked door in some ways, feeling constricted in the way we normally live out our faith.   With all this in mind, perhaps we can very much relate to what Thomas and the other disciples are going through today.  
      In a lot of ways Thomas has gotten a bad rap in the way most Christians view him.  We label him “Doubting Thomas,” although that name is never officially given to him in Scripture.  In fact, he called “Doubting Thomas” in a pejorative and negative way. As I thought about Thomas this week while working on my homily, I thought about the different styles we can have in learning, of our different personalities, or the different ways we human beings can interact with the world and with our faith. I remember when I taught Spanish at Greenville Weston High School for 4 years in the Mississippi Delta, our motto one year as teachers was this:  If my students don’t learn the way I teach, then I change the way I teach.  A good motto to have, especially when most of my students in the Delta probably did not learn in the same way that I did as a child and youth in school.   In fact, I remember one of the first things I did with my students the first week of the school year was to take a learning styles inventory with them, and then the way I tried to teach throughout the school year related to those particular learning styles.  It was interesting and not too surprising to me that rather than learning best by listening to a lecture or reading a book, most of them were kinetic or tactile learners, where the students learned best by doing or touching or performing an activity.  I see Thomas as a tactile and kinetic learner as well.  He has to have a physical touch, an activity that shows him that he can indeed believe.
       In the Gospel, Thomas is said to be also known as Didymus – the Twin.  It doesn’t use the specific name “Doubter” at all.  In fact, I think a lot of Christians feel shame when the reality of their lives in a given moment is characterized by a lot of questions in their faith, when they aren’t sure any more about some of those things they had previously accepted by faith, when they are have trouble understanding or accepting some of the things that the Church teaches.  Rather than saying that Thomas is a doubter and labeling him in a negative way, we could say that Thomas is a realist.  In fact, doubt is not the opposite of faith as it is sometimes labeled.  To doubt sometimes, to ask questions, to search, to wonder, and to seek – those are all ingredients of a vibrant, alive faith, a faith that is in motion.  I think that is healthy to be a realist like Thomas. We are all called to bring the reality of our lives to our faith,  to be honest with God with the ways we not only try to put our trust in him and have confidence in him, but also to bring our skepticism, our uncertainty, and our unbelief to him.  Thomas the Apostle was honest with Jesus. He WANTS to believe. In turn, Jesus invited Thomas to reach out and touch him.
       Our talk about Thomas the apostle today and about the divine mercy of Jesus made me think of a prayer by Thomas Merton.  I have gone back to this prayer again and again on my journey of faith, To me, this prayer expresses some thoughts about how we might sometimes feel on our journey of faith in light of this Gospel about Jesus appearance to Thomas and the other disciples:

My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me. Nor do I really know myself.
And the fact that I think I am following your will
Does not mean that I am actually doing so.

But I believe that the desire to please you
Does in fact please you.

And I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this,
You will lead me by the right road
Though I may know nothing about it.

Therefore I will trust you always
Though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death
I will not fear for you are ever with me.

And you will never leave me to face my struggles alone.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment