Monday, March 9, 2020

17 March 2020 - Tuesday of the third week of Lent - Matthew 18:21-35

      We hear this wonderful Gospel on forgiveness today, of how many times we must forgive our brother when he sins against us.  One of the prisoners I visit at the state prison at Pearl came up to see me after Mass this past weekend when we were out at the prison.  He told me that his dad was having a lot of problems. He asked me if I would do a big favor for him - if I would like a candle for his dad at our church and pray for him.  I told him I would do so. The candles that we light in church represent our prayers. I heard someone say once that each candle that is lit in church represents a broken heart.  That is another way of looking at it, too.  There must have been a lot of anger and brokenness in the servant in today’s parable today, how he could receive forgiveness for such a huge debt he owned, yet he was unable to forgive his fellow servant.  Perhaps what that servant was missing in his life was love.  The Carmelite priest and Doctor of the Church John of the Cross said: “Where there is no love, put love, and you will find love.” Forgiveness is about love, isn’t it.  Remaining in God’s love.  Passing on that love to one another. On the wall of a children’s home in Calcutta by the Sisters of Charity is this quote: “People are often unreasonable, illogical, self-centered.  Forgive them anyway.  You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and God.  It was never between you and them anyway!"  For most of us, forgiveness is not easy. Most of the time, forgiveness is complicated, difficult, painful, and hard work.  Only with God’s grace will we be able to forgive.  Perhaps that is what the unmerciful servant was missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment