Saturday, February 17, 2018

Book Review - Bel Canto - by Ann Pachett

I served as a missionary in the country of Ecuador from May 1996 to May 1999.  I remember when I was there, in December 1996, members of the Tupac Amaru Revolutionary Movement took hostages during a party at the official residence of the Japanese ambassador to Peru.  At the time, Peru's president, Alberto Fujimori, was of Japanese ancestry.  After about 4 months time, commandos stormed the residence, in which all the militants were killed, including 2 commandos and 1 hostage.  This true life incident seems to serve as the inspiration for Bel Canto, this novel written by Ann Patchett.  I previously read her book Run, which I also enjoyed.  A parishioner of mine in Tupelo, Betty Montgomery, who was an English professor at a community college and who wrote her PhD dissertation at Ole Miss on the fiction of Flannery O'Connor, recommended the novels of Ann Patchett to me.  I had been wanting to read this book for some time, and finally got around to reading it.  Her prose is very wonderful.  A lot of the story deals with the dynamics between the hostages and their captors.  It is definitely a well-written novel, one that will be read for years to come.  


No comments:

Post a Comment