Sunday, May 28, 2017

Sometimes things are not what they seem

Since Easter Sunday, we priests have had a very hectic Easter season.  Almost every week since Easter Sunday, from Friday to Sunday, I have had 8 to 10 masses, with many other things scattered in between.  Last weekend, on Saturday, when my day had started at 7:30 am in the morning, after I had gotten up at 5:30 am, I found myself in a retreat at 11:30 pm trying desperately to stay awake.  I priest who is in dire need of time off, I have not found that opportunity yet.  For four of those weekends since Easter, I have driven 100 miles round trip to celebrate mass for a priest who is on vacation.  On my way back from those trips, I even find time to visit someone who is sick.  Yet, on one Sunday, when I prayed the opening prayer of the mass in Spanish, a man very angrily walked out of the church, threw his missal on its shelf, and exited the church, angry that I was celebrating a mass bilingually rather than having two separate masses in Spanish and in English. That was the welcome I got, barely having time to go to the bathroom or to get something to drink, rushing off after my mass in Tupelo to an hour drive to help out for a priest who is on vacation.  Sometimes we need to try to understand and help out our brothers and sisters, even if everything is not to our liking.  I wonder: What would Jesus want us to do?  

No comments:

Post a Comment