Saturday, May 22, 2021

27 May 2021 – Thursday of the 8th week in ordinary time – the story of the Blind man Bartimaeus – Mark 10:46-52

      A blind man named Bartimaeus cries out to Jesus from the side of the road: “Jesus, Son of David, have pity on me!”  The disciples rebuked him for calling out to Jesus - how dare he do such a thing!  However, this does not stop Bartimaeus.  Jesus finally responds, telling him that his faith has saved him.  Bartimaeus is able to see and to continue on his way.

          Bartimaeus had faith in Jesus – total faith.  I wonder if we let things in life get us down, if we feel weary and dejected, or if we are able to show the tenacity, courage, and steadfastness that Bartimaeus displays in today’s Gopsel.  I have kept this short prayer that a student gave me when I was an associate pastor at St Richard in Jackson.  That was probably 12 years ago when this many was in junior high school.  He is now married with a child. This young man originally gave me this prayer thinking that I could share it with the prisoners that I visited at CMCF.   I see this prayer as relating to the story of Bartimaeus that we hear today: 

Lord Jesus, I give you my hands to do your work,

I give you my feet, to follow your path.

I give you my eyes to see as you do.

I give you my tongue to speak your words.

I give you my mind so that you can think in me.

I give you my spirit so that you can pray in me.

Above all things, I give you my heart, so in me you can love your father and all people.

I give you my whole self so you can grow in me, until it is you, Lord, who lives, works, and prays in me.  AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment