Monday, July 10, 2017

Quote from Maya Angelo

Maya Angelo taught at Wake Forest, the college where I received my undergraduate education.  One of my fondest memories of being at Wake Forest was attending a small poetry reading given by Maya Angelou and her good friend the poet laureate of the Chicago and the state of Illinois Gwendolyn Brooks.  I had a chance to talk to both of them that evening.  As a young college student, I was in awe of being in the presence of two great literary giants who really made a mark on American literature.  This past week, I have had quoted to me twice these words of Maya Angelou.  Wise words, indeed:  “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”  It is a good quote for all of us to remember, especially those of us who work in ministry.  

No comments:

Post a Comment