Friday, May 29, 2020

Book Review - Rules of Civility by Amor Towles

       I remember when I was taking my introduction to American literature course my first year at Wake Forest as an undergraduate accounting major, my beloved professor, Dr Thomas Gossett, advised me to read good writers such as Ernest Hemingway and F Scoot Fitzgerald, telling me that reading good authors like that would really help me in my writing. This novel, Rules of Civility, was recommended to me by a good friend who is a retired librarian. I absolutely loved this book. A book about young people trying to find their way in life, deciding on the values they want to follow, searching for meaning and a career to follow appeals to me, even though I am more at the twilight of my own career, probably about a dozen years away from retirement.  I remember as a young adult absolutely loving The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway, which to me covers similar themes. I loved the story and the characters in this novel. They engaged me and they felt very relatable. I absolutely loved the writing style of this author. This book was beautifully written from the first sentence to the last one. Some passages were so beautiful that I savored every word. I usually read several books at a time, and in the midst of this book, I was reading Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole, which I also like very much. I will definitely be on the look out for more books by this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment