Friday, May 29, 2020

Book Review - On the Map by Simon Garfield

I have always loved geography and I have always loved maps. I really enjoyed this book. It was really like a breath of fresh air, being well-written and covering so many different subjects in the general realms of maps. This book helped me think about the maps that have affected the way I view life. I have lived in densely populated urban areas and big cities - Chicago and Los Angeles. I have also lived in very remote areas - the Mississippi Delta, a jungle in Ecuador, a small town in South Texas, and an island off the coast of Guinea in West Africa. I think of the maps of all those places. I think of traveling to remote parts of Africa and South America. I think of using a map to hike a pilgrimage route in Spain. I loved all the examples in the book - maps used by explorers, maps of the human brain and outer space. Maps show how we view the world. I really enjoyed this book. It made me think about how I view my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment