Sunday, May 17, 2020

18 Mary 2020 - Monday of the 6th week of Easter - Acts 16:11-15

       During our readings from the Acts of the Apostles in the Easter season, we hear a lot of stories of those whose hearts were touched by the Gospel message that was preached to them by St Paul and his missionary companions.  Today we hear about Lydia, a dealer in purple cloth.  Paul’s message penetrated her heart and soul.  She converted to the Way of Jesus and had her entire family baptized. People like Lydia risked comfort, safety, and probably also her economic well-being in order to become disciples of Christ.  
        When I was the associate pastor at St Richard in the early years of my priesthood, a youth there gave me this prayer to share with the prisoners to whom I ministered, thinking these that these words would inspire them on their journey.  No matter if we are a recent convert to the faith like Lydia or if we have been trying to follow the Way of Jesus our entire lives, we all have to give over our lives to Jesus in some way or another, asking him to lead us and guide use on our journey: 

Lord Jesus, I give you my hands to do your work,
I give you my feet, to follow your path,
I give you my eyes to see as you do.
I give you my tongue to speak your words,
I give you my mind so that you can think in me,
I give you my spirit so that you can pray in me.
Above all, I give you my heart, so in me you can love your father and all people.
I give you my whole self so you can grow in me, until it is you, Lord, who lives, works, & prays in me.  AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment