Monday, January 20, 2020

Quote on education - Dr Martin Luther King Jr

"The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically.  Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education."

A friend of mine from the Mississippi Teacher Corps posted this quote from Dr Martin Luther King Jr on the national day celebrating him and his ideals.  It is a great quote.  I think we have all had good and bad experiences in education.  The inner city high school I attended was an education nightmare, which included math and science teachers who had no clue about the subject matter they were supposed to teach.  On the other end of the spectrum is the seminary I attended, where I received a wonderful education, where I was taught to recognize and use my gifts, where I was taught to critically think, where I was nurtured and loved.  I have been blessed with a lot of educational opportunities in life.  May we encourage others on their educational journeys.


No comments:

Post a Comment