Saturday, November 11, 2017

This I believe - I believe in the power of stories

I have been focusing on stories lately, because it seems to me that in our society today, a lot of people want to tell their own story, and believe that their story is important, but often that same person does not want to hear the story of the other person.  They want their story to be heard, they want their opinion to matter, but they do not want to hear the story of the other person, they do not feel that the opinion of the other person is important.  Sharing stories needs to be a dialogue, not a lecture.  I found this quote below on a website entitled "This I believe." The website aims to be a public dialogue about belief.  It was written by a teacher from Denver in March 2009.  
https://thisibelieve.org/essay/62546/
"This I Believe. I am a storyteller and I believe in the power of stories. As a teacher I present a story every day. Sometimes I read them. Often I tell them. When I tell a story, inevitably one child or another will ask me if the story is true. I always answer yes. They look at me with puzzled expressions when I tell them that all stories are true even if they are not real. But I believe this. The wildest, most imaginative story revolves around basic human characteristics, needs, and attributes that are recognizable to the reader or the listener."

No comments:

Post a Comment