Thursday, February 20, 2014

2/20/2014 – Thursday of 6th week in Ordinary Time – James 2:1-9, Psalm 34:2-7

      Yesterday, I was at the Cathedral of St Peter in Jackson for the Catholic Day at the Capitol.  This year, the cause that we are advocating as a diocese with the state legislators is prison reform, which looks like will come into a reality this legislative session.  Bishop Kopacz preached on the reading from the letter of James in the homily at the mass that we had as a group at the noon day hour in the cathedral.  He mentioned that while most of the letters of St Paul were written to specific communities in the early Church, James was a universal letter written to all believers. The letter of James addresses issues of living out of faith, especially of living the values of the Gospel through our works and actions. It is interesting in our world to see how people are treated so differently by others based on who they are and their status in society.  I remember once when I was in Milwaukee in seminary.  For spring break, I had taken the Greyhound bus up to Winnipeg to visit some friends.  When I returned, it was about 4:00 in the morning, and I was waiting at the bus stop to catch one of the city buses to take it to the seminary. I guess I looked pretty disheveled, because a van pulled up to me and a couple of young adults got out, offering me a sack lunch or a ride to the homeless shelter.  They assumed that I was a street person or homeless person hanging out on the streets because I had nowhere else to go. Hopefully, all are welcome in our community of faith no matter who they are.  Hopefully we treat everyone with the dignity and respect that God expects of us. The Lord does have a special heart for the poor, for those going through different circumstances in their lives, for those who struggle to make it in our Lord.  We are called to hear the cry of the poor as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment