Thursday, February 13, 2014

2/16/2014 – 6th Sunday in Ordinary Time – Matthew 5: 21- 37

      Often, in our Sunday readings from Scripture, we hear a story or a parable or an image that really strikes us, that captures our imagination, that perhaps touches our heart.  Last Sunday, Jesus told his disciples: You are the salt of the earth.  You are the light of world.  Those images are rich and concrete and appeal to our imagination; they speak to us on many different levels.  Yet - today we have the opposite situation.  Today is one of those Sunday’s where we are struck with some very complex readings that are not warm and fuzzy.  They deal with a complex subject that is not easy to wrap our minds around. 
       Think of something simple and commonplace that we do every time we worship together as Catholics.  During each weekend mass, we have a procession in the beginning of mass, we have the entrance of the assembly.  We often think of the procession as the faithful in the pews rising from their seats and singing an entrance hymn as the priests, servers, and lector process down the center aisle into the sanctuary.  But what if see the procession as being something much larger than this?  What if we see the procession as all of you in the pews getting up on Sunday morning and getting reading to come to church?  Sometimes our mornings are hectic and stressful, sometimes they are calm and comforting.  We have breakfast in the morning, we get dressed.  Some of us may sit in silence or pray or look over the Sunday Scripture readings in order to get ready for the mass mentally and spiritually.  Then we come in our cars from all parts of the city, even from different towns and counties surrounding Tupelo, making our way to the church.  Do we see ourselves in procession to church as we leave our homes and get ready? Do we see ourselves in procession to the church when someone cuts us off in traffic or when someone is rude to us or when we are having a bad day?
       As we think about that, let’s look at the refrain in today’s psalm: Blessed are those who follow the law of the Lord. That sounds so simple doesn’t it?  As followers of Christ, we know that we want to follow God’s law, but we know that it is not simple, don’t we?  We learn God’s law, we start following it by the way we initially understand the law, and as we grow in faith, our understanding of the law penetrates our hearts.  I think about my time in seminary.  I pride myself in being a good student, and I can honestly say that in seminary, I gave it my best shot, and I did very well academically and in the formation process.  Yet, I can remember the very first Sunday mass I did on my own, a Sunday morning mass at the large parish of St Richard in Jackson.  After I processed into the church, took my place at the presider’s chair, and saw about 500 faces looking back at me, I started to panic.  I thought: How did I think I could do this?  I got through that mass just fine.  However, I continue to grow in my understanding of the mass and grow in my love of the mass Sunday after Sunday as I continue my journey of faith as a priest. As I celebrate the mass almost every day as a priest, it continues to penetrate my heart in different ways.  And that how it is with God’s law: as we journey in faith, we are called to grow in our love and understanding of his law. 
      In the Gospel, Jesus doesn’t throw out the law, but rather brings nuance and fullness to it.  He speaks out in opposition to a strict legalistic interpretation not only of the law, but also of how we understand God operating in our lives. The Pharisees knew about God’s laws against things like adultery, murder, and false witness, they knew the letter of the law, but they created clever interpretations and loopholes which kept these laws from penetrating and converting their hearts. Jesus calls us to a new life in him each day - not just one time in the waters of baptism - but a new life that is renewed in us each day in which God's law continues to change our hearts.   Jesus envisions a world where we start proclaiming God’s kingdom in the here and now, in which we love our neighbor and reach out to our enemy, in which we work toward strong marriages and stable families, in which joy and peace are proclaimed to all.  Jesus calls us to strive toward perfection under God’s law as we journey in faith each day. Jesus proclaims that he has come to fulfill his Father’s law, knowing of the salvation and redemption we will achieve through his death and resurrection.  We are called to grow in our understanding of God’s law, to allow it to penetrate our hearts, to be blessed by God's law under which we live out our faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment