Sunday, November 21, 2021

Catholic reflection for Thanksgiving - 25 November 2021

It is a blessing that we have a national holiday of Thanksgiving.  Thanksgiving Day is a big part of our national American identity and a big part of our Catholic faith.  It is important for us to give thanks for our blessings in life, more so because of the lack of thanksgiving and gratitude in our modern secular world.  In the following prayer, let us give thanks for the blessings we have in our lives and let us remember those who are struggling with those same things:

Prayer for Thanksgiving Day

Help me, O Lord, to give thanks for this day, to give thanks for the many blessings I have in my life.  

When I have food, O Lord, help me to remember the hungry;

When I have work, help me to remember the jobless;

When I have a home, help me to remember those who have no home at all;

When I am without pain, help me to remember those who suffer;

When I am calm and restful, help me to remember those who are struggling and without peace;

When I have a friend to talk to, help me to remember those who are lonely;

When I feel fulfilled, help me to remember those who are searching for meaning in their lives;

When I am in prayer, help me to remember those who struggle to have faith.  

And remembering, help me to break out of any complacency;

Stir up compassion and mercy in my heart, and help me be concerned enough to help;

By word and by deed, help me to reach out to those in need and let me give thanks, not taking the blessings in my life for granted.  Amen.

Blessings to all of you this Thanksgiving Day.  I give thanks for each one of you here at our parish of St Jude.  Father Lincoln. 

No comments:

Post a Comment