Wednesday, January 20, 2021

22 January 2021 - Readings for the Mass for respect for life and for the dignity of all human life -Reading for the Day of Prayer for the Legal Protection of Unborn Children

Isaiah 49:1-6

Hear me, coastlands, listen, distant peoples. Before birth the LORD called me, from my mother’s womb he gave me my name.*


He made my mouth like a sharp-edged sword, concealed me, shielded by his hand. He made me a sharpened arrow, in his quiver he hid me.


He said to me, You are my servant, in you, Israel,* I show my glory.


Though I thought I had toiled in vain, for nothing and for naught spent my strength, Yet my right is with the LORD, my recompense is with my God.b


For now the LORD has spoken who formed me as his servant from the womb, that Jacob may be brought back to him and Israel gathered to him; I am honored in the sight of the LORD, and my God is now my strength!


It is too little, he says, for you to be my servant, to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and restore the survivors of Israel; I will make you a light to the nations, that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth.



responsorial Psalm 8:4-5, 6-7, 8-9


R. O Lord, our God, how wonderful your name in all the earth!


When I behold your heavens, the work of your fingers,

the moon and the stars which you set in place -

What is man that you should be mindful of him,

or the son of man that you should care for him?


R. O Lord, our God, how wonderful your name in all the earth!


You have made him little less than the angels,

and crowned him with glory and honor.

You have given him rule over the works of your hands,

putting all things under his feet:


R. O Lord, our God, how wonderful your name in all the earth!


All sheep and oxen,

yes, and the beasts of the field,

The birds of the air, the fishes of the sea,

and whatever swims the paths of the seas.


R. O Lord, our God, how wonderful your name in all the earth!




Romans 11:33-36


Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How inscrutable are his judgments and how unsearchable his ways!  For who has known the mind of the Lord* or who has been his counselor?  Or who has given him anything that he may be repaid?” For from him and through him and for him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.




Matthew 18:1-5, 10, 12-14


At that time the disciples approached Jesus and said, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”  He called a child over, placed it in their midst and said, “Amen, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.  And whoever receives one child such as this in my name receives me.  See that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that their angels in heaven always look upon the face of my heavenly Father.


“What is your opinion? If a man has a hundred sheep and one of them goes astray, will he not leave the ninety-nine in the hills and go in search of the stray?  And if he finds it, amen, I say to you, he rejoices more over it than over the ninety-nine that did not stray.  In just the same way, it is not the will of your heavenly Father that one of these little ones be lost.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment