Sunday, August 9, 2020

11 August 2020 - Tuesday of the 19th week in Ordinary Time - Ezekiel 2:8-3:4

      Today we hear from prophet Ezekiel, about a vision and call that he has from God.  We hear about the vision of a scroll or book, in which Ezekiel is called to be God’s spokesperson. God speaks to Ezekiel, calling him “son of man,” a term that is used often in the book of Ezekiel, but rarely in any other books in the Old Testament.  Perhaps the term “son of man” is used to emphasize the divide that exists between a transcendent God and human beings here on earth.  God asks Ezekiel to listen carefully to what he has to say.  God tells him: “Be not like this house of rebellion,” characterizing the people of Israel.  Instead, he is to be dutiful and obedient.  Even though the scroll includes “lamentation and wailing and woe,” it is sweet to the taste when Ezekiel is instructed to eat it. Though these words are tough, strong, and direct, perhaps God’s word is always sweet because it is done out of love and mercy.     

        I find it challenging sometimes to unpack the message of the prophets, especially prophets like Ezekiel who deliver a message that is perhaps often challenging and enigmatic.  I think of my work as Vicar General of the Diocese.  Not that it is exactly the same as being a prophet, but sometimes I have to deliver a message that is tough and direct.  I think a lot of you know me well enough that being Vicar General was not something I aspired to, but it was a calling I received, and I accepted it out of obedience and love.  May the word of God penetrate our hearts and our lives like it did in the life and work of the prophet Ezekiel.  

No comments:

Post a Comment