Friday, May 31, 2019

Visitation of Mary to her cousin Elizabeth - May 31 - my ordination to the priesthood


       Eleven years ago today, on May 31 on the feast of the Visitation of Mary to her Cousin Elizabeth, I was ordained a priest for the Diocese of Jackson.  Since then, I have served in four different assignments as associate pastor and pastor, I have served as the interim director of finance for the diocese, and am now getting ready to assume my new duties as Vicar General.  It has been an amazing journey for me.  I still remember the day I was ordained, as I kneeled before Bishop Joseph Latino and pledged my obedience to him and his successors.  
        I have a copy of this painting hanging up in my office. I saw the original in the Prado museum in Madrid, Spain.  It was drawn by the famous Spanish master painter Raphael and was painted by one of his assistants.  It is dated around the year 1517.  I have fond memories of my six pilgrimages to Spain.  I leave the United States on June 24 to travel to Spain for the spiritual exercises of Ignatius of Loyola in his hometown of Loyola.  I am very grateful for my opportunity to serve God and his people as a priest.  

No comments:

Post a Comment