Monday, May 27, 2019

Message on our celebration of Pentecost - 9 June 2019


      On some point on our Catholic journey, we have probably learned about the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit: wisdom, understanding, knowledge, counsel, fortitude, piety, and being in awe of the Lord.  But, beyond these seven gifts, we receive so much more from the Spirit of God.  The spirit brings us newness.  I remember when I was appointed as interim director of finance for the Diocese last fall, one of the other priests half jokingly said that I need to watch out for the Holy Spirit, because you never know where the Spirit is going to call you.  Yes, that is so very true, isn’t it?  Being called by the Spirit to new things push us out of our comfort zone.  The Spirit also calls us to harmony and unity, which is different from the diversity of different gifts that are given to different members of the Church.  We all called to be brothers and sisters in the unity of the Holy Spirit.  Division and discord are definitely not callings of the Spirit.  Finally, we have mission, to be called into the mystery of God, to bring his divine message to the world.  As we think of where the Spirit is calling us and leading us as we celebrate Pentecost here at St Jude, let us pray the prayer of the Holy Spirit written by St Augustine of Hippo:
Breathe in me O Holy Spirit, that my thoughts may all be holy.
Act in me O Holy Spirit, that my work, too, may be holy.
Draw my heart O Holy Spirit, that I love but what is holy.
Strengthen me O Holy Spirit, to defend all that is holy.
Guard me, then, O Holy Spirit, that I always may be holy. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment