Friday, September 15, 2017

9/20/2017 – Homily for Wednesday of the 24th week in Ordinary Time – 1 Timothy 3:14-16

       Paul writes to Timothy, who is in charge of the Christian community in Ephesus, a community that Paul helped establish.  We can tell from the tone of the letter that Paul has great affection for him.  Paul reminds Timothy of the mysteries of the faith in which we believe.  Even though Paul is able to give a summary of these mysteries, a full explanation is beyond our human understanding.  As I read this letter from Paul to Timothy, I thought about the letters that I used to write home as a missionary.   My location in Ecuador was so remote that phone service was not available.  I would write letters quite frequently, so much so that the Chilean nuns in our mission site used to kid me as to how many letters I used to receive.  We would receive our mail every 2 – 3 weeks, since the post office was a 4-hour bus ride away.   When I came back from the mission field, my brother handed me a stack of the letters I had written him – he had saved them to give to me, which I thought was very thoughtful of him.   Letter writing was such an important mode of communication for so long, but now with cell phones and emails and Facebook, writing a letter is a lost art.   Paul, Timothy, and the members of the Early Church are a big part of our faith, a big part of the traditions we honor today in our Church.  And in many ways, the podcasts, texts, and blogs that we write today that continue to communicate the message of our faith continue in that same tradition.  If Paul lived in the modern world, I would suspect he might have a blog or a podcast.  Even Bishop Kopacz and Pope Francis communicate on Twitter.  Yes, we're called to use the methods of communication at our disposal to bring the message of the Gospel to others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment