Thursday, May 28, 2015

Traveling down the Natchez Trace





Living in Tupelo, and having to travel to Jackson quite a bit, which is a 3 1/2 hour drive for me, I often find myself traveling down the Natchez Trace, one of the little known gems we have in our country. The Trace goes for about 440 miles from Natchez, Mississippi on the banks of the Mississippi River all the way up to Nashville, Tennessee.  The Trace goes through parts of the states of Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee.  It is not really lit at night, which makes for a rather spooky drive when it is dark.  The speed limit is 50 mph and commercial vehicles are prohibited from using it.  It find it to be a very meditative, relaxing drive, but a speedway it is not.  The modern Trace takes the place of a travel way that was used by the native people of North America for centuries, and then a trail used by European explorers and traders.  Here are some photos I took on a rest stop on my my back to Tupelo from Jackson.  The first two photos show what the old Trace would have looked like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment