Monday, May 16, 2022

reflection - a prayer on mercy by Thomas Merton

   In my homily last weekend, I mentioned Thomas Merton (1915-1968) as a man who had a profound conversion experience as an adult after living his early life away from any type of faith. Merton, who lived as a member of the Trappist monastery in Gethsemani, Kentucky, near the town of Bardstown, was a writer, theologian, mystic, poet, social activist, and a bridge builder between different religions. Entering the monastery in 1941 as a monk, he was ordained to the priesthood in 1949. He wrote more than 50 books in a period of 27 years, mostly on spirituality and social justice. Many of his books became best sellers. He died in a tragic accident in his room at a retreat center in Thailand in 1968 while attending a conference. I really like this poem by Thomas Merton that centers upon the theme of mercy. If you have not read any books by Merton, a good place to start is his autobiography, The Seven Story Mountain, written in 1948.


Have a good week everyone. Father Lincoln.


Lord, have mercy.


Have mercy on my darkness,

my weakness,

my confusion.


Have mercy on my infidelity,

my cowardice,

my turning about in circles,

my wandering,

my evasions.


I do not ask for anything but such mercy,

always,

in everything,

mercy.


My life here – a little solidity and very much ashes.

Almost everything is ashes. What I have prized most is ashes.

What I have attended to least is, perhaps…

a little solid.


Lord, have mercy.

Guide me,

make me want again to be holy,

to be a man of God,

even though in desperateness and confusion.


I do not necessarily ask for clarity, a plain way,

but only to go according to your love,

to follow your mercy, to trust your mercy.


I want to seek nothing at all, if this is possible.

But only to be led without looking and without seeking.

For thus to seek is to find.


A prayer by Thomas Merton, Journals, August 2, 1960, IV.28

No comments:

Post a Comment