Monday, April 18, 2022

22 APRIL 2022 – homily for Friday of the Octave of Easter - Acts 4: 1-12

      The Acts of the Apostles tells the story of the development and growth of the Early Church.  In the first days of the Easter season, we always hear first readings from Acts, about the formation of the Early Church after Christ’s death and resurrection.  For the last couple of days during the Octave of Easter, we have been hearing about how the healing of a lame man gave Peter and John the opportunity to address the crowds about their need for repentance, about the reality of the risen Christ, and about how our faith in Jesus can work miracles in our lives.  Through this miracle of healing, Peter and John attracted the attention of the crowd, but they also attracted the attention of the Sadducees, the head of the temple guards, and the chief priests.  John and Peter were afraid after the death and crucifixion of Jesus.  They thought that because they were disciples of Christ, they could be put to death themselves.  Their fears were justified, for the authorities take Peter and John into custody.  But, like Jesus himself, they use these opportunities for evangelization and as moments where they can minister to others. Although they are still terrified for their own lives, they use that fear as the starting point to make sense of the resurrection after the risen Christ starts appearing to them.  Step by step, as they begin to make sense of the reality of their lives, they become more energized and more confident, allowing them to continue to share their faith with others, even those how are hostile of the message of Christ’s Good News.  

      Our Church has challenged all of us to become evangelizers of the faith, but our fears and trepidations may be holding us. back.  We may be struggling with doubt and confusion ourselves.  We may wonder about our own vocation as evangelizers, about where God is leading us and where the world is headed.  Certainly, in the midst of a harsh reality in our world after more than two years of the pandemic, many of us are feeling a lot of strong emotions about a lot of things.  As always, we are use our own reality and our own faith as a starting point.  I would like to close with this short prayer that addresses such a reality: 

     Our Lord Jesus Christ, thank you for the gift of faith. You know that I believe, but I want my faith to grow. In knowing you I find meaning. I find rest and strength. I need you, Lord. I trust in your loving mercy. You know what I need the most today. All I ask is that you remain at my side throughout this day. That is enough for me. I want to spend this day making you happy, pleasing you with my every thought, with my every word and action.  AMEN.  

No comments:

Post a Comment