Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Saint of the Day - St Fiacre - 1 September

All of you have probably noticed the statue in front of the new rectory.  That is a statue of St Fiacre.  I also have an identical statue of him in the backyard of the new rectory, so you can tell that I really like him.  I had seen his statue in many gardens for many years.  Back when I was in Indiana a few years ago visiting friends, I saw his statue two days in a row in different gardens.  That is when I knew that I wanted to learn more about him.  When I first saw those statues, I had just assumed it was St Francis of Assisi.  

Who is St Fiacre?  Fiacre lived in the 7th century, having traveled from Ireland to France, where the Bishop of Meaux gave him a piece of land on the edge of a forest where he could live in solitude.  He lived there as a hermit, cultivating a beautiful garden.  He also built an oratory in honor of the Blessed Mother and a hospice where travelers could lodge.  He was known for his charity for all visitors.  He also offered herbs to cure those who were sick. He was known for the miraculous cures of those who were sick.  St Fiacre is known as the patron saint of gardeners.  


At the place of his hermitage, a stand for horse drawn cabs that traveled to Paris was established in the 17th century.  Those cabs were commonly called Fiacres in honor of St Fiacre.  To this day, Parisian cabs are sometimes called Fiacres.  St Fiacre is also the patron saint of Parisian cab drivers.  


We unite our prayers with the prayers of St Fiacre today. 






No comments:

Post a Comment