Saturday, August 10, 2019

Anniversary - August 9

So, looking back on history, this is an interesting date for anniversaries.  August 9, 1945 was the second date of the bombings of Japan, the first time in history nuclear weapons were used.  August 9, 1974 was the date President Nixon resigned from office.  My family had just moved from Chicago to southern California around that time.  I was only 12 years old.   For me, thinking of peace and justice, the bombings of Japan stick out in my mind.  And they also show how complicated issues are.  My dad and many family members from that generation served in WWII.  I know that the outcome of the war was not a foregone conclusion, that there was a lot of fear and trepidation as to how everything would end.  It is interesting how our remembrance of history changes over time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment