Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Rose Hill Cemetery - Chicago - Dall Family Plot

My great great grandfather David Dall, a ship's captain on the Great Lakes, came to Chicago from Scotland in the mid 19th century (after living for some years in Wisconsin).  He came from a long line of sea people from the kingdom of Fife in Scotland.  He and many of my Dall family ancestors, including my father, are buried in Rose Hill Cemetery, the largest cemetery in the city of Chicago.  I almost got locked in their while visiting my dad's grave on a Sunday afternoon - that would have been very bad.  Bobby Franks, the young boy killed in the Nathan Leopold and Richard Loeb murder, is buried not too far from our plot.  Lincoln A Dall, my great great grandfather's youngest son, after whom I am named, is buried there.  He died in 1890 at the age of 25. (The LAD grave stone is his.)  I plan on being buried next to him when my life on earth comes to an end.  I remember visiting here with my dad when we were children.  It seemed like a very magical place to a young child.  










No comments:

Post a Comment