Monday, August 13, 2018

19 August 2018 - Reflection on the Bread of Life Discourse of the Gospel of John - Reflection for the 20th Sunday of Ordinary Time - John 6:51-58


       It has been a busy several weeks.  The last weekend in July, I was in Indianapolis at St Matthew Catholic Church preaching a mission appeal for our Diocese.  After being back for a few days, I then traveled to Washington DC to Catholic University, where I was there for a week studying for a Masters of Science degree in Ecclesial Administration and Management, a new program started for priests in order to enhance their ministry.  I am excited about having this opportunity, and am hoping that it will greatly enhance my ministry here at St Jude.  This weekend, I am back on the road for another mission appeal, this time at Our Lady of Hope in Rosemont, Illinois, just outside of Chicago.  I am also planning to visit Sister Paulinus Oakes, a Sister of Mercy in our Diocese for many years.  Sister Paulinus was a mentor for me when I started my ministry as a priest.  She is now retired up in St Louis.  
     We hear Jesus tell the crowds in the Gospel today: "I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever.”  These are bold words that contain a challenging message to all of us who are Christ disciples, for the bread of life is not only there to nurture us and sustain us, but it is also there to transform us and to animate us on our spiritual journey.  
     Back when I was the associate pastor of St Richard in Jackson, I was given this prayer by a middle school student who thought I could share it with the prisoners I worked with.  It is a wonderful prayer that addresses the way we should be the body of Christ to others: 
Lord Jesus, I give you my hands to do your work.
I give you my feet, to follow your path.
I give you my eyes to see as you do.
I give you my tongue to speak your words.
I give you my mind so that you can think in me.
I give you my spirit so that you can pray in me.
Above all, Lord Jesus, I give you my heart, so in me you can love your father and all people.
I give you my whole self so you can grow in me, until it is you, Lord, who lives, works, & prays in me. AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment