Sunday, June 11, 2017

15 June 2017 - Thursday of the 10th week in Ordinary Time - homily — 2 Cor 3:15-4:1, 3-6

       I have had a problem with wax in my ears since my days as a missionary in Ecuador.  I remember when the doctor in the military hospital in Quito removed all the wax and other junk that had clogged up my ear, when her opened the door, the sound was like a crash of thunder.  I had not realized how impaired my hearing had gotten. The method of using water to flush the wax out of my ears does not usually work for me.  I usually use a baked onion or a water bottle to melt the wax away.  I remember that the first summer I was in Tupelo, the wax got so bad, that all the ladies in the office had to yell at me just so I could hear what they were saying. I went to an ear, nose and throat clinic in Tupelo; it took the doctor many tries to get the wax out, but once the wax did come out, I was amazed at what I was able to hear. 

         Paul tells us today, that whenever a person turns to the Lord, it is like a veil is removed.  Just like me hearing so much better once I got the wax out of my ears, once we turn to God, the way we see the world is so different as well. We are called to do much more than going through the motions of our faith, to taking the easy road and accepting the status quo.  We are called to truly turn to the Lord with our hearts, to feel the Lord at the bottom of our souls. May we remove the veil that is impeding us from moving ahead on our journey of faith.  May we remove the wax that is clogging up our ears, that is impeding us from hearing the word of God in our lives.  

No comments:

Post a Comment