Saturday, June 3, 2017

5 June 2017 - Reflection on St Boniface

Anyone who knows me as a priest, knows how much I love the saints.  I remember when I lived in Winnipeg, Manitoba in Canada, I would pass through the French section of town named St Boniface.  I did not know much about St Boniface, so I assumed that he was from France.  However, as we know, the truth is often very complicated.  Boniface was born in England around the year 675.  He became a Benedictine monk, but felt the call to be missionary.  He was sent to Germany, eventually becoming a Bishop there.  Boniface faced a lot of failure in his ministry, but he never gave up.  He first tried to minister to the people of Holland with no success at all, but had great success with the Saxons of Hesse and Thuringia.  Boniface met his end when a group of pagans struck him down while he was in the process of confirming into the Church some newly baptized members.  Today, Boniface is the patron saint of Germany, and he is an inspiration and example to many in the faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment