Monday, June 10, 2013

6/14/2013 – Friday of 10th week of ordinary time – 2 Corinthians 4:7-15

        Our readings from Paul’s 2nd letter to the Corinthians has some very poetic language in it.  Paul tells us in his humility that he and the other apostles are entrusted with the glory of God and the eternal truths of God’s revelation in the humility of their human lives and in the meagerness of the human souls.  Our human limitations do not limit the glory of God as it is revealed to us here on earth, but rather magnify God’s glory by these limitations.  I like Paul’s list of the emotions we can sometimes feel in human weakness – afflicted, perplexed, persecuted, and struck down.  Yet, God lifts us up in the midst of these weakness and we persevere and endure. 
         I wonder if we feel that we are carrying around the death and life of Jesus in our bodies as Paul suggests, for we are indeed unified with Christ through the salvation we receive from his death and resurrection.  God does not condemn us for our human condition, but rather calls us to new life and gives us hope. 

        I think of when I was in Spain on the pilgrimage to Santiago a year ago. We had cold and rainy weather the entire time.  My feet and my body ached, and I had a bad respiratory infection that limited my energy.  Yet, I felt enlivened and energized at the same time on this spiritual journey even with all the limitations that went with it.  Even in the midst of our limitations, God will help us complete our journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment