Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Rocks from the Camino de Santiago de Compostela - in celebration of the feast day of the Apostle James the Greater


Rocks from the Camino de Santiago de Compostela are piled up on the side of our parish's goldfish pond in Yazoo City.  I can't imagine how many pilgrims' feet have walked over these rocks.  I tolk them right off the middle of the pilgrimage trail.  Northern Spain is a very rocky place - there are rocks everywhere.  In fact, when you think of how some of the field have been farmed there for centuries and thousands of years, it is amazing to see all of the rocks that are still in the fields.

Today is the feast day of Santiago, of James the Greater.  His missionary efforts were not very successful during his lifetime - he converted very few people to the Way of Jesus during his trip to Spain right after Christ's death and resurrection. Yet, today, thousands upon thousands of pilgrims walk the Way of St James to his cathedral in Santiago de Compostela in the province of Galicia where his remains are interred.  I give thanks to God that I have been able to walk the Camino twice.  And even though it has only been about two and a half months since I returned form my most recent pilgrimage, I cannot wait to go again.

I am having a mass at my parish this evening.  Some of those who went to Spain with me in April will be traveling to Yazoo City where we will gather around the table of the Lord.  We give thanks for James and for all the apostles who gave their lives for the faith so that we might travel the Way of Jesus in our own lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment