Thursday, July 15, 2021

Reflection for 16th Sunday in Ordinary Time - 11 July 2021

      Last Sunday, our Gospel from the sixth chapter of Mark showed Jesus sending his disciples out two by two to bring his Good News to the world.  He gave them authority to anoint the sick with oil and to cast out demons. One can imagine that this was a very intense, exciting, and sometimes frightening experience for the disciples.  Today’s Gospel takes place later on in this same chapter of Mark's Gospel after the disciples have returned from their travels. They share their stories with Jesus about their journey.  Even though Jesus knew that he and his disciples needed some time to rest and relax, that time of renewal didn’t come to fruition due to the tenacious crowds that followed him. Rather than trying to flee again, Jesus feels compassion for the crowds that are looking for a shepherd to lead them, so he begins to teach them many things.

     After not being able to travel for vacation since my retreat in Spain two years ago, I am looking forward to a time of missionary travels and vacation in July and August.  Next Friday, I will be traveling to Southern California.  I will stay with my sister, Heather, in Orange County and will have a mission appeal at the parish of St Gregory the Great in Whittier, a suburb of Los Angeles.  St Jude will have the honor of having Bishop Kopacz celebrating Mass while I am away.  The second weekend in August, I will be traveling to Terre Haute, Indiana for another mission appeal.  Then, later in August, I will travel to Wakefield, Rhode Island for a mission appeal and for a visit with my sister Kimberley and her family in the Boston area.  As all of you know, I became a priest in the Diocese of Jackson with a very joyful missionary spirit, with a love of sharing our faith with people of different cultures, languages, and walks of life. I am looking forward to these mission appeals, visiting three different parts of the country. I also look forward visiting my two sisters as I do not get to see them very often.  Father Nick Adam will be celebrating Mass the two weekends in August I will be away.  I know that you all will enjoy Mass with Bishop Kopacz and Father Nick.  I will enjoy sharing my experiences with these parishes as pastor of St Jude and as Vicar General of the Diocese of Jackson.  Blessings to all of you.  Have a blessed week everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment