Thursday, September 5, 2019

Seven prayers of Gregory the Great

The following seven prayers are attributed to St. Gregory the Great.  Though the prayers have fallen into disuse in the modern era, the faithful continued to use them during the late medieval period, when the Franciscans preached devotion to the human suffering of Christ. We recall these prayers of St Gregory the Great as we celebrated his feast day this past Tuesday, September 3.  
The Seven Prayers of St. Gregory
1.  O Lord Jesus, I adore you hanging on the Cross, bearing the crown of thorns on your head. I beg you, that your cross may free me from the Angel. Amen. 
2. O Lord Jesus, I adore you wounded on the cross, having drunk vinegar and gall. I beg you, that your wounds may be the remedy of my soul.
3. O Lord Jesus, I ask by that bitterness of your passion, which you underwent in the hour of your death, especially at that time when your most holy soul departed from your blessed body, to have mercy on my soul in its departure from my body, and lead it into eternal life. 
4. O Lord Jesus, I adore you placed in the tomb, embalmed with myrrh and spices. I beg you, that your death may be my life. 
5. O Lord Jesus, I adore you descending into hell and freeing your captives from that place. I beg you, that you may never allow me to enter there. Amen. 
6. O Lord Jesus, I adore you rising from the dead, and ascending into heaven, and sitting at the right hand of the Father. I beg you, that I may merit to follow you there and to be presented to you. Amen. 
7. O Lord Jesus, good Shepherd, preserve the just, pardon sinners, have mercy on all the faithful, and be well-disposed to me, a wretched and unworthy sinner. Amen. 
Prayer: I beseech you, Lord Jesus Christ, that your passion may be a strength for me, by which I may be fortified, protected, and defended. May your wounds be food and drink for me, by which I may be fed, inebriated, and delighted. May the sprinkling of your blood be an ablution of all my sins. May your death be eternal glory for me. In these may refreshment, health, zeal, joy, delight, and desire of my body and soul be mine, now and forever. Amen.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, place your Passion, Cross, and Death between your judgment and my soul, now and in the hour of my death.
Deign to grant grace and mercy to me, pardon to the living, rest to the dead, peace to your Church, and life and eternal glory to all sinners. You who live and reign forever and ever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment