Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Padlocks on a bridge - Paris, France




Everywhere I looked in Europe, there were these locks all over fences.  I had never heard of this before.  Even at Lourdes and Fatima, two religious shrines, there were locks wherever there was a fence.  Our tour guide mentioned that this was a tradition of a couple using a lock as a symbol of their love.   Here is an explanation I found on the internet: 

"The idea is simple: a couple crosses the bridge and puts a padlock on a section of the chainlink fence. The lock represents their love, and it will stay there for all of eternity. They then dramatically hurl the keys to the lock into the body of water under the bridge. They make out a bit. And then they leave. The lock stays."

I guess that this has been popularized in some movies and even in the TV show Parks and Recreation.  I read where a portion of a fence on a bridge in Paris collapsed because of all the padlocks that were on it.  I guess good intentions can go astray.  

This photo was taken in from of the Sacré-Cœur Basilica in Paris.  

No comments:

Post a Comment