Monday, June 5, 2023

14 June 2023 - Wednesday of the 10th week of Ordinary Time - Matthew 5:7-19

     Some people were hoping that Jesus would say that he had come to abolished God’s law and to his establish his own law and own reign in order to be able to trap him and persecute him. However, Jesus knew that he was the fulfillment of God’s laws and commandments, that he wanted to enhance our understanding of them, to have those laws and commandments to be integral to the kingdom of God that he proclaimed.  

    In many ways, we can see how our actions are to connect to what we belief, for Jesus says that whoever breaks the least of these commandments in his actions and teaches others to do so will be called the least in the kingdom of heaven. Sr. Helen Prejean, who wrote the book Dead Man Walking about her experiences in prison ministry, states: “I watch what I do to see what I really believe. Belief and faith are not just words. It’s one thing for me to say I’m a Christian, but I have to embody what it means; I have to live it.” The Beatitudes, the Ten Commandments, and many of Jesus’ teachings that are recorded in the Gospels guide us to live in right relationship as individuals and in the context of the community.  I find that Gospel passages like the one we hear today give us a lot to reflect upon on our journey of faith


No comments:

Post a Comment