Friday, March 9, 2018

Book Review - The Seven Last Words of Jesus - by Romanus Cessario, OP

 I mentioned in another book review a retreat I will be giving for the Carmelite nuns in Jackson.  This book addresses one of the other topics I will be using for the retreat - the seven last words of Jesus, words he said in his last hours of life here on earth right before his death on the cross, words that we Catholics contemplate on Good Friday.  Since the 4th century, pilgrims to Jerusalem have been venerating the cross of Jesus on Good Friday.  These words may seem surface and straight forward on the surface, but are very rich in their meaning.  I enjoyed this book very much.  It was a good meditation for me during the Lenten season.  It is published by the Magnificat organization, which produces a monthly devotional book. 

1.  "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do."  -  Luke 23:34

2. "Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise." -  Luke 23:43

3. "Jesus said to his mother: "Woman, this is your son."  Then he said to the disciple: "This is your mother."  -  John 19:26-27

4. "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"  -  Matthew 27:46 and Mark 15:34

5. "I thirst."  -  John 19:28

6. When Jesus had received the wine, he said, "It is finished;"  and he bowed his head and handed over the spirit.  -  John 19:30

7.  Jesus cried out in a loud voice,  "Father, into your hands I commend my spirit."  -  Luke 23:46

No comments:

Post a Comment