Sunday, March 11, 2018

22 March 2018 - Thursday of the 5th week of Lent - Genesis 17:3-9


     God makes a covenant with Abraham and with his future generations.  At the end of today’s reading, it states, “God also said to Abraham: ‘On your part, you and your descendants after you must keep my covenant throughout the ages.’”  
     One of the things that draws me to the pilgrimage of St James in Spain is the history of that pilgrimage.  It started in the 9th century when the remains of the St James the Apostle were rediscovered.  Some of the roads and bridges that I hike along on the pilgrimage route were constructed by the Romans.  Some of the churches that I visited are as old as 1,000 years old.  Sometimes, as I am walking along the trail, I stop and can almost hear the footsteps of the millions of pilgrims who traveled that route in faith before me.  Just I followed in the footsteps of those many pilgrims who traveled those roads before me, we roll in the footsteps of Abraham and his descendants, in the covenant he made with his people.  
      We may ask ourselves:  Are we adhering to the spirit of that covenant?  Are we fulfilling the purpose God intended for us as his people? 

No comments:

Post a Comment