Thursday, March 22, 2018

Book Review - Pablo Neruda - On the Blue Shore of Silence: Poems of the Sea

Back in the summer of 2002, I had a fellowship with the US Dept of Education to study in Argentina and Chile with a group of teachers from across the US.  While in Chile, we visited the Pablo Neruda Museum, located in his former residence in the city of Valparaiso, near the coast, not far from Santiago.  Chile is a very interesting country - a sliver of land spanning a large part of the South American continent, with the Pacific Ocean to the West and the Andes Mountains to the East.  Neruda, a Noble Laureate for Literature and a very beloved figure in the county in Chile, was an amazing poet.  His poems about the sea, both in Spanish and the English translate, are very earthy and compelling.  I have always enjoyed poetry.  I enjoy it even more so as a priest, since it helps feed my soul and helps me in my inspiration for homilies.  I hope to read more of Neruda's poetry in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment