Friday, April 21, 2017

Great Flood of 1927 - Mississippi Delta



The above is a photo of the welcome center in Greenville, Mississippi, shaped like a River Boat. Today, April 21, 2017, is the 90th anniversary of the day that the levee broke just North of Greenville in 1927.  The Great Flood of the Mississippi River in 1927 is an event that shaped our country and the history of the Mississippi Delta.  Families throughout the Delta have stories from that event.  Our Diocese has a photo of the nuns in the convent in Greenville being evacuated from their convent in a boat.  We remember this event, the tragedy of the the lives that were lost and ruined.  I pray for my adopted state of Mississippi.  (Interesting side note:  My full name is Lincoln Spencer Dall.  My dad named my after his favorite great uncle, whose first name was Lincoln and last name was Spencer.  Even though my dad's family was from Illinois dated from when my Great Great Grandfather Captain David Dall settled in Chicago in the middle of the 19th century from Scotland, Lincoln Spencer somehow ended up in the state of Mississippi, living on the coast in the community of Ocean Springs.  How he got there and what happened to him and his descendants, I do not know.)  



No comments:

Post a Comment