Friday, June 5, 2015

6/7/2015 – The Solemnity of the Body and Blood of Christ – Corpus Christi - Mark 14:12-16, 22-26

     Today we celebrate the solemnity of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ.  It makes sense, doesn’t it, that we devote a Sunday Eucharistic celebration to the importance of the Eucharist itself.  We receive the body and blood of Christ in the Eucharist each time we gather for mass.  We become what we receive, which is why we as Christ’s disciples are called to be the Body of Christ here on earth. It sounds simple, but we know that it isn’t simple at all, that it has many implications and ramifications in our lives. 
      The Eucharist is to be the source and summit of our life as Catholics – that is a phrase that came out of Lumen Gentium – the Dogmatic Constitution on the Church from the Second Vatican Council.  Our children just finished Vacation Bible School with the theme:  Everest – Conquering Challenges with God’s Mighty Power.  Think of what a summit like Mount Everest is like.  Mount Everest is over 29,000 feet high.  The cross of iron, the high point of the Camino that I walked in Spain is 4,900 feet in altitude in comparison.  And that was a very strenuous mountain to climb, as well as the highest peak on the entire Camino that stretches across northern Spain for 500 miles.  I read an article about 16 guides who were killed in April 2014 due to an avalanche on Mount Everest, and another 19 who were killed in April of this year when an avalanche was triggered by an earthquake that hit that country.  Going up a summit like Mount Everest or Pike’s Peak or Mount Kilimanjaro is serious stuff – it is not something one does casually or passively or without thought.  It is something one has to train for rigorously for years beforehand.  You can be sure that the Church did not accidentally choose the metaphor of a summit to convey the significance of the Eucharist.  The Eucharist is described as the summit, the apex, the pinnacle of our Christian life by the Second Vatican Council because the Eucharist contains the whole spiritual good of the Church – it contains Christ himself.  Just as a mountain climber has to actively climb a mountain summit, so we also have to be active and intentional in the way we approach the Eucharist.  We have to be properly prepared to fully receive the grace that we encounter in Christ in the Eucharist.  The mass is there for us for a reason – it is there to give us spiritual nourishment.  It is there to nourish those of us who have made the decision to follow Christ in our lives, to strengthen us through whatever ups and downs we encounter on our journey of faith.
      The Passover meal that Jesus celebrated with his disciples in the Last Supper as described in the Gospel of Mark is an important Jewish festival that he transformed into the Eucharist that we celebrate around the Lord’s table each Sunday.  When I think about the Eucharist in my own life, this is the one encounter that comes to my mind, that illustrates how important I want the Eucharist to be in my life.  I had been a missionary in Ecuador for almost a year, and I was suffering very badly from pneumonia and from a tropical fever.  My bones ached, my head was pounding, I alternated between burning up and shivering.   It was a few minutes before the mass was supposed to start at 7:00 pm in the evening. I could hear the church bells ringing, calling everyone to mass.  However, I had so little energy and felt so poorly that I could barely move a muscle.  I so needed the strength that I always got from the Eucharist.  I so desired to go down to the church to mass.  But I knew I was in no condition to do so.  And I remember I started to cry – I felt so bad that my hunger for the Eucharist would have to go unfulfilled that evening.  I think about that incident, because I want to have that burning desire to love the Eucharist, to see it as an important part of my life, every day of my life.  I think about how I felt that evening, reflecting on how the majority of baptized Catholics don’t attend mass on a regular basis.   It makes me wonder if some of us take the Eucharist for granted and thus casually dismiss the nourishment we are offered in it, if some of us are lacking in the disposition needed to out a life of discipleship, to be willing to receive the grace that God offers us in our lives.  This has great implications on our call to Evangelization, doesn’t it?  What does this mean for the eternal destiny of the individual, of the mission of our Church, of the life of our world?
       St Augustine said this about the Eucharist:  “This is our daily Bread; take it daily, that it may profit thee daily. Live, as to deserve to receive it daily.”  Yes, the way we live our lives, the message that we bring to the world in our actions and our words – this communicates to others what the Body and Blood of Christ means to us.   What is keeping us from reaching out to others?  What is keeping us from inviting someone to reach out to a member of St James whom we’ve not seen recently, to someone who has drifted away from our parish or from the Catholic faith?   How are we fulfilling the role of an evangelizer of the Good News of Jesus Christ, of the presence of the Body and Blood of Christ in the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment