Thursday, December 4, 2014

12/5/2014 – Friday of the First Week in Advent – Isaiah 29:17-24

        The prophet Isaiah contains a lot of prophecies that alter the reality of the world.  Earlier in the week, we heard a prophecy of peace, in which the lamb and the lion, mortal enemies in the world of nature, would lie down with each other in peace.  Today, we hear that the deaf will hear, the blind will see, and the poor will rejoice.   We know that this prophecy today found fulfillment in the healings and miracles that Jesus performed time and again in the Gospel. Isaiah ends today’s reading by saying that those who err in spirit will gain understanding, that those who find fault will receive instruction.  We can point fingers to those who fall under those categories, but that can describe all of us on occasion, can’t it?  All of God’s creation deserves to be treated with respect, doesn’t it?  All of us are called to seek greater understanding in the ways of the faith, aren’t we?  And we all be blind and deaf to certain things around us, to the truth that God calls us to seek.  Jesus healed two men in today’s Gospel.  They believed. They received healing.   During this Advent season, may we recognize the ways we need to have our eyes and ears opened.   May we believe. May we be healed. 
           I will close my homily with this Advent prayer: Loving God, I don't have the right words. I'm not sure where to begin, but I know you are the hope and promise of the peace to come in my life. Be with me this day. Let me look at my life and my day today and open my heart completely: "Come, Lord Jesus. Come into my heart." 

No comments:

Post a Comment