Friday, June 1, 2012

6/7/2012 – Thursday of 9th week – ordinary time – 2 Timothy 2:8-15


       “Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead.”  This is how our first reading from the 2nd letter of Timothy begins today.  Remembering Jesus was important for those communities in the early Church, to remember what Jesus’ death and resurrection and ministry were all about, to remember what connection He had to their current lives of faith.  I was just remarking to a parishioner last week how important the act of remembering is to our faith.  We remember those who formed us in our faith.  My mom’s mother died many years before I was born, but I remember her from stories that were told to me throughout my lifetime, how her strong faith in Christ was passed down to me even though I never met her.  We remember the saints who lives of faith are testimonies and witnesses to us.  I was reading the list of saints for the month of June, and included in that list is Blessed Robert Salt, a Carthusian monk who refused to let his monastery be shut down by King Henry VIII when he shut down monasteries and convents in England after he established the Church of England.  Robert Salt was starved to death, being one of 18 monks in central London in the London Charterhouse monastery who died from 1535 to 1540 by either execution or starvation.  Though these deaths for the faith occurred more than 500 years ago, they stand as a testimony to us today, especially as our own religious liberties are under attack. 
         We remember many things in our faith.  The act of remembering is very important to us. May we continue to remember.   

No comments:

Post a Comment