Saturday, November 12, 2022

bulletin reflection - HOLY SAVIOR CATHOLIC CHURCH - Clinton, Mississippi - 33rd Sunday of Ordinary Time - 13 NOVEMBER 2022

       We are getting to the end of our Church’s liturgical year, with the solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ, King of the Universe being celebrated next weekend.  After that, we celebrate Thanksgiving and the season of Advent as we get ready for the arrival of Jesus at Christmas. As we approach the end of the liturgical year, Jesus speaks in the Gospel about the end times.  I think of the “Y2K” hysteria that happened with the turn of the millennium in the year 2000 when it was predicated that all the computers would crash and that there would be a huge crisis in the world.  I knew of people who were stockpiling food and water at the time.  As we know, those predictions never came true. We have no control over when the end times will come.  We don’t know the day or the hour.  Instead, we should focus on a life always being centered on the values of the faith, of always being prepared. 

     Last Monday, I had the opportunity to celebrate Mass for the inmates at the federal prison in Yazoo City.  The Nobertine priests who resided in Raymond were very devoted to that ministry for many years.  I participated in that ministry back when I was pastor in Yazoo City from 2010 to 2013.  There had not been a Catholic Mass celebrated there since March 2019 with the departure of the Norbertines from our Diocese.  It seemed like I was thanked more than 100 times while I was at the federal prison for Mass this past Monday.  Even the warden came up to me and thanked me.  With the pandemic, I think we don’t take the Mass for granted anymore.  But for the prisoners, it means so much for a priest to be able to visit them and to celebrate Mass with them.  I see visiting the prisoner as an important work of mercy and an important part of my priesthood. 

      I look forward to being with all of you at the Masses this weekend.  Blessings.  Father Lincoln. 



No comments:

Post a Comment