Friday, November 18, 2022

29 November 2022 - Tuesday of the 1st week of Advent - Matthew 10:21-24

Often, it can be very hard to be humble in our modern world. Often, it is hard to trust, hard to be obedient. Yet, in Matthew’s Gospel today, Jesus proclaims that those who have a humble, child-like trust are the ones who truly understand the Kingdom of God. In a world where it is so easy to be cynical, sarcastic, and distrustful, perhaps this message during this first week of Advent can help us examine the way we approach life.  

The Latin word “suscipe” means “to receive”. The concept of the suscipe prayer has its roots in the monastic tradition, where incoming members made a profession. The suscipe is a prayer that places total reliance on God rather than human means. St Ignatius of Loyola wrote a suscipe that is found toward the end of his spiritual exercises, written in the 16th century. The suscipe prayer of St Ignatius incorporates the spirit of humility, trust, and obedience to God expressed in today’s Gospel: 

Take, O Lord, and receive my entire liberty, my memory, my understanding, and my entire will. All that I am and all that I possess, you have given me: I surrender it all to you to be disposed of according to your will. Give me only your love and your grace; with these I will be rich enough and will desire nothing more. Amen. 



No comments:

Post a Comment