Saturday, October 9, 2021

Reflection - prayer of Anselm of Canterbury

St Anselm of Canterbury from the 11th century is a great example of faith for all of us in the modern world today. Anselm desired to become a monk at the age of 15, but due to opposition in his family and his family’s circumstances, he did not enter the monastery until the age of 27 when he entered a Benedictine monastery in Normandy, France.  He served humbly as prior and abbot there.  Anselm is seen as an innovative and deep thinker who was shaped by the Benedictine rule that he followed as a monk.  He was well-known for his patience, gentleness, teaching skill, and love for the poor. Under his leadership and direction, his Benedictine Abbey in Normandy became a monastic school that was very influential in philosophical and theological studies.  At the age of 60, in the year 1093, Anselm was named as Archbishop of Canterbury in England.  As this took him out of his element, he was opposed to being named bishop, but served out of obedience.  Due to the opposition of the two kings of England under which he served, he was sent into exile on several occasions.  As we live out our faith with the challenges of the modern world, saints like Anselm give us a great example of faith for the humility, tenacity, and courage with which we can meet our challenges.  I love this prayer of St Anselm.  May we always seek the Lord no matter what the circumstance.  May the Lord continue to bless and guide all of us on our journey of faith.  Father Lincoln.  


Prayer of St Anselm of Canterbury 


O my God, teach my heart where and how to seek you, where and how to find You.  You are my God and you are my all and I have never seen you. You have made me and remade me. You have bestowed on me all the good things I possess. Still I do not know you. I have not yet done that for which I was made. Teach me to seek you. I cannot seek you unless you teach me or find you unless you show yourself to me. Let me seek you in my desire.  Let me desire you in my seeking.  Let me find you by loving you.  Let me love you when I find you. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment